All electrical installations will deteriorate over time as they are made up of various components and working systems.
It is recommended that any wiring over 25 years old should be regularly inspected and tested, this will help identify any faults or defects which require improvement. It will also give an idea of any work that may be required and also the potential cost.
A full property rewire usually takes place when major building or alteration work is being carried out i.e. extension or refit.
Some other occasions may be:
- After flooding or fire
- IF the installation has become unsafe (usually identified after an EICE)
- Installation of one or more new circuits
- Upgrading or change of use of the building or property
- Carrying out a partial or full rewire will more often than not involve creating new circuits or installing a new consumer unit. These works are notifiable to your local building control department. Lentech (Northwest) Limited are NICEIC approved contractors which means we take care of this for you.
What is involved?
Unfortunately a rewire does cause a lot of disruption, more often than not all switches, fittings, sockets and consumer units will be replaced and require rewiring.
A rewire is completed in 2 stages of work; first fix and second fix.
All first fix work happens before any plastering. Thisensures that all cabling is hidden so the installation will involve lifting floors and carpets, chasing out channels in walls and possibly ceilings where there is no access from above.
As well as installing new cables, new boxes for sockets and switches will be installed. In addition to replacing cables for lighting and sockets, it is also a good opportunity to install cables for other systems i.e.
- Central heating
- Smoke detectors (required by building regulations)
- Doors bells
- Data networks
Once the first fix is complete, the property can then be replastered and made good. The second fix work can then be undertaken, and all accessories like sockets, switch plates, light fittings and fans etc.
Lentech (Northwest) Limited are NICEIC approved contractors and are assessed on a regular basis to ensure our work is of a high standard. It is checked against the IET wiring regulations and other standards.
As an NICEIC registered business we are covered by the platinum promise – a promise that protects you against all non-compliant installation work.
The platinum promise is valid for up to 6 years from the date of the completion of the original work and covers work up to a maximum of £25,000 for anyone installation.